charity match 2020

Helping Beat Cancer

Last season, while our keeper Rob Cock was preforming heroics in goal for us, his son, Treeve was being a much larger and much stronger hero than anyone. He was battling Hodgkins Lymphoma. The great news is Treeve has won his battle and is now throwing himself into raising money for CLIC Sargent. The organisation who supported him throughout this time.

So this years inter-club match gave us the opportunity to help Treeve in his awesome quest to raise money for a very worthy cause!

On a sunny Sunday morning 29 handsome chaps turned out at Par Track to entertain the masses!

Royal Par Whites 4 - Royal Par Reds 5

Match report by Dave Holley:

Before I mention the match and point out everyone's faults bar mine, I would like to reiterate previous comments about the fantastic turnout for a wonderful cause. I've played against and with Robert Cock for many many years and can honestly say he's one of the nicest guys in I've shared a pitch with. Both of us are incredible keepers, refuse to blame others for goals conceded and are quiet and unassuming nature on the pitch. Sometimes you wouldn't even know we were there.

To the game, whites started the brighter, dominating midfield despite being set up in a 4-4-2 to the reds 4-5-1 and keeping possession, possibly down to reds over confidence but more likely down to Chris Mather's team talk sending us all to sleep. Scott Ross Griffin had the honour of scoring the 1st ever goal at the new pitch, a delightful chip come shot over the ever immobile Gerry Mcgowan. I blame Omar Maged though.​

The whites, tails up doubled the lead when my header from a corner was met full volley by Sam Brokenshire 20 yards out to slam home. I blame Omar Maged. Encouraged by some constructive criticism from my self the reds managed to draw level before half time when Collin Harker and Ross Sundercombe Volunteer Kenya scored (I blame Omar Maged).

Buoyed by Chris Mather only using 10'000 words during his h/t team talk the reds came out of the traps quickest and were rightly awarded penalty put away by Ross Sundercombe Volunteer Kenya to give us the lead for the 1st time. The lead was short lived when Matt from St Kew pounced on an error to chip Gerry Mcgowan.

Within minutes the reds retook the lead when Chris Mather scored with his head in from1 yard out. Omar Maged then managed to give away a penalty despite not even being on the pitch at the time, Gerry Mcgowan saved the 1st attempt when he toppled to the right and despite all 10 red outfield players trying to lift Gerry up so he could try and save the rebound Scott Ross Griffin tucked it away. With the game heading for extra time Matt Wills provided a wonderful finish to win the game for the reds.

Many thanks to all those that helped run the line specially Cameron Hague who spent the best part of 70 minutes doing it. Well done Paul Morgan, you managed to pick both teams and put your self on the losing side. You had a blank canvas, you could have cherry picked anyone.

Thank you to everyone that contributed and stayed for beers after, if you didn't I volunteered in your place and can confirm we were only left with Sprite by the time I'd finished with the beer cooler.

The match raised a total of £594, which has been donated to Treeve via his Just Giving page. From there you can follow his progress or donate to his cause! Keep up the great work Treeve from all of us here at Royal Par....fantastic!!

Photo's from the match can be viewed by clicking here.